Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Drugstore Gems: Milani Glitters and Holographics

For my first post I thought I would do something simple and affordable so I decided to do a series of my favorite drugstore polish lines. First up: Milani!

I originally bought Milani's Silver Dazzle and Gems because I had seen swatches online and they both looked fantastic so when I was browsing in Target one day, I was undecided on what to get (polish overload!) so I decided on those 2 polishes. 

Silver Dazzle. 2 Coats + 1 coat Out the Door Topcoat. Black, silver and charcoal glitter. Tons and tons of glitter. This is from the One Coat Glitter line and although its not exactly a one coater, I still love this color so much that one more quick coat isn't a big deal, I had no problems with application and it dries fairly fast and it dries matte and very gritty so a top coat (or many coats of topcoat) is a must. I have a feeling I'm going to be sporting this color a lot this fall/winter and even though its a dark color, I'm loving it this summer because of the way it catches the sun. 


Gems. 4 Coats. This is from the Jewel FX line. Multi-colored hex glitter in a clear base. Its like a party in a bottle. This is definitely a layering polish, its not dense enough to wear on its own. I've worn it over white before and it reminds me of a confetti cupcake or something like that it looked awesome. The only problem with application is that it isn't dense so to get a decent amount of polish you need multiple coats, but the effect is so gorgeous that I really don't care. 
So since I had a fairly good experience with my first 2 Milani polishes, today I was at CVS picking up a few things and I saw the 3D Holographic line. Needless to say I was intrigued so I picked up 4 of the colors (because I had a coupon for $5 off my purchase... that's a free Milani!) and the holographic claim of this line didn't disappoint!

Left to Right: Cyberspace, Hi-Tech, Hi-Res, 3D

Cyberspace. 3 coats, no topcoat. Light blue (almost baby blue) base with holographic goodness throughout.The base on this is beautiful! Its bright and soft at the same time. I will without a doubt be sporting this color sometime very soon!

Hi-Tech. 3 coats, no topcoat. Vibrant lemon-lime green with yellow tones as a base and the same amazing holo effect through that's found in the other polishes from this line. The base color is so gorgeous, unique and so bright its almost in neon territory (though not quite) and the holo effect on this is really strong (even more so than in the others it seems like). One of my absolute favorite greens that I will probably wear to death for the rest of the summer!

Hi-Res. 3 Coats, no topcoat. Gorgeous light and bright purple base color. Another great summer base color and the holo when it hits the sun makes it even better. Same dry time and holo effect as the others. 

 3D. 3 coats, no topcoat. A non-brassy, true gold base. Its not too warm so I think it would be great on a variety of skin tones. I feel like this color doesn't have as much of a holographic effect as the others do, it might just be the fact that the gold is so true that it kind of washes out the holographic effect. I'm not really sure but it really doesn't seem as strong as the others.

Overall: The drying time on these polishes was very fast! I was impressed. It didn't take very long before I was able to apply the next coat. The formula was a little sheer so each color needed 3 coats but it was a dream to work with. It wasn't too thick or goopey like holo or glitter polishes tend to be. 

My impression of Milani overall is that they have amazing, high quality polishes for drugstore prices. I am very, very impressed and I will probably buy many many more... starting with the rest of the 3D Holographics!

<3 Nicel









No comments:

Post a Comment